Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Piper Turns 1 (a short novel)

We did it! we survived a whole year . . . and actually enjoyed some of it! It was a rough first start, but once we got into a routine and were able to figure out our day-to-day, life got much easier.

Piper and I took a trip to Utah to celebrate with family. Casey opted to stay in Colorado (he's not a fan of going to Utah) so we decided to stay a whole week.

We flew out on a Saturday. This was a much less stressful flight than the trip to Hawaii. We decided to take her gait trainer since we were going to be gone for so long. We used this as our "stroller" through the airport and discovered a) its really hard to control when pushing fast to catch a flight and b) you get to board before anyone when you have a "medical" boarding pass.
This was Piper's 2nd flight and it went much smoother than her first. Only an hour and 15 minutes?!?! What a breeze!

Piper received so much love from family. This was the whole reason we left dad to go home for her birthday. Because we knew she would have so many people happy to see her. 
Morning stories with Grandma Robinson

Bottles with cousin Parker

Piper was mesmerized with Grandpa Wright's beard.

Meeting new cousin, Vivia.

 This is seriously one of my favorite pictures from the whole trip. I love Piper's crazy hair, her head barely poking over the Cafe Rio table, and her rapt attention on Aunt Wendy. I wish I could have zoomed in.
Cousin Marco liked to push Piper around

Seriously, so much love at this house.

We had two birthday parties, one with the Wrights and one with the Robinsons. Our "theme" (I use that term loosely) was "One Tough Cookie." That meant I made one sign and we had cookies instead of cake. And that was the extent of my party planning.

Party #1:

She was a little apprehensive with so many people looking at her

She also took a while to warm up to her cake.

Then, in one swoop, it was rubbed into her eye.
"Mom, a little help, please."


She thought her card from grandma Wright was pretty great.
Party #2

These two . . .


She was a little more excited about cake the second time around

She got a special Super Birthday S from cousin Bennett
We went swimming at the new Provo Rec Center and Piper loved it! She stood in the pool all by herself! We are looking into aqua-therapy now to see if that will help with some weight bearing. She also met Remmy, who had a lot of love to give.
Cousin Stella really got worn out at the pool . . .
Just some cousin swing time
All the Robinson grand kids: Marco, Ruby, Alex, Bennett, Piper, Stella.
We had a great time. And the ride home went pretty smoothly for having three four-year-olds (the triplets), a one-year-old and two single moms driving 8 hours in the car. I think there might be more trips to Utah in our future.

I can't express how much I love Piper. I am lucky to be her mom.
Two days old.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that last picture of you and her! Come back soon. I need to cuddle her some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! I didn't realize Piper got to meet Remy! How fun. And your party looks super cute. I love the sign, the theme and the whole table set up. Don't even pretend you're not a master party planner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to blow that last picture up. I love it--her outfit, her bow, and the rolls on her arms. She is your mini-me in so many ways (minus the rolls)...love you both.

    ReplyDelete